Sunday 28 April 2013

a week in Broadchurch (that's West Bay to you and me)

Broadchurch/West Bay in the sunshine


sea mist at West Bay/Broadchurch


How sad is it that I spent my birthday evening watching Broadchurch on tv?? My excuses are:

  • not enough space on our Sky+ to record it
  • we were in West Bay where most of it was filmed
  • I really wanted to know if I was right about the murderer (and I was!) and West Bay is Broadchurch mad at the moment, so somebody would let it slip!

I enjoyed the series a lot, although it took me a while to stop the "ooh look that's West Bay harbour...news agent...the Ellipse cafe and flats that over look our flat...and now they are in Clevedon - that's a long way to go to find a hotel!". What's more we had our farewell breakfast at the Watch House Cafe yesterday at the table next to Pauline Quirke, who is so pretty in real life - and I think it must have been her own dog used in Broadchurch as there was at least a very similar dog with her and her husband.

Talking of breakfast, I am going to share my one and only food photo, to get it over with (I am trying very hard to battle my tea shop addiction). This was my birthday breakfast at the Watch House Cafe in West Bay....yummy!

blueberry pancakes at the Watch House Cafe, West Bay

From the Watch House we headed to the Abbotsbury sub-tropical gardens...one of my favourite places in the whole World. It was such a long, drab Winter I had forgotten how much I missed colour until we walked around the gardens. A sunny day and Spring wearing her fineries; a perfect day!

Spring at Abbotsbury gardens


Abbotsbury sub-tropical gardens

Abbotsbury sub-tropical gardens

birds after tit-bits at the tea room


We have Abbotsbury season tickets and went back later in the week, when it was really misty - everything was less vivid, but just as lovely.

tea rooms in the mist

Abbotsbury in the mist

As my birthday was such a lovely day, we decided to wander around the swannery at Abbotsbury before heading home. The cygnets won't hatch until the end of May, but it is such a peaceful place that it is wonderful for a gentle walk all year round (except the Winter when it is closed).

path to Abbotsbury swannery

Abbotsbury swannery


Abbotsbury swannery

Abbotsbury swannery
lambs at Abbotsbury


A quiet, gentle week, we took in Lyme Regis, Mangerton MillBennett's Water Gardens and Forde Abbey - enjoying the sunshine and walking off at least some of the calories.

Mangerton Mill, Bridport

Lyme Regis

Bennett's Water Gardens (looking forward to going back when the waterlillies are out)

Forde Abbey

Forde Abbey

Forde Abbey

Forde Abbey


And now I think I should stop...as you are probably all gardened out, as Mark would say!




8 comments:

  1. Oh not - not "gardened out at all", your pictures are so beautiful, I enjoyed everyone of them. You live in a beautiful part of the world and the way you presents your pictures - wonderful!
    And your breakfast... wow! Hugs from Annika and Zoya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Annika - you always say the kindest things!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Annika (and I would even if she wasn't my elder sister, and it is always good to agree with them!) - lovely photos!

    It seems as if you had a lovely week at West Bay - and how could you not? Thank you for letting us see some wonderful Spring photos. They are much needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene. It was a lovely week - and Spring is such a beautiful season.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful holiday that looks to have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - I just get a bit carried away with the camera...

      Delete
  4. gorgeous pics, Sue... looks like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Mad - I do love an English country holiday.

      Delete